This is a post I have been excited to share! Now that we are less than 25 days until the election, I wanted to come on here to share my open and honest thoughts on why voting is important to me. If you follow me on Instagram, I have been sharing a ton of voting resources on my Instagram Stories. But I wanted to sit down and write out and share why I’m voting and why it’s important to me.
Why Voting is Important to Me
Growing up around some of the strongest women I know such as my mother and my aunts who have played a huge role in shaping me into the woman I am today, it is important to use my voice and stand up for what I believe in. Voting is a right that so many influential women before me has fought for and it is is something that I do not take for granted.
I’m loving the female presence in politics. Ruth Bader Ginsberg (may she RIP) has been advocating for human rights throughout her entire career. There are so many strong women such as Alexandria Ocasio- Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, Kamala Harris, and more that are pushing through and being a force for change.
Voting is important to me because it’s a right that I do not take for granted. So many influential women before me has fought for this right.
Why I am Voting
It’s so many reasons why I’m voting in this election. I have participated in several elections, but this one feels different.
- We are in a global pandemic where so many people have been affected. Americans have lost loved ones, the unemployment rate is at an all time high, and so much more. I’m voting for a president that will take pandemics seriously.
- I’m voting for racial justice. Racial equality is so important to me and it’s sad that we are still dealing with this in 2020. I’m voting for the countless Black men and women who have lost their lives simply due to the color of their skin. Black Lives Matter. Period.
- I’m voting for my niece. I want her to know that she can break barriers and accomplish her dreams while being compensated the same as her peers. Also her rights as a woman are basic human rights. I’m voting for her right to be in charge of her reproductive rights and that our bodies are not up for political debate.
- I’m voting for the rights of my friends who are apart of the LGBTQ+ community. I want them to be able to live their lives freely without fearing that their basic human rights will be taken away.
- I’m voting for climate change. We need a president that believes in climate change, who will fight for the future of our planet.
I can go on and on about this but we will be here all night (LOL).
I’m not here to tell you who to vote for. These are issues that I personally believe in and that align with my values. If you are going back and forth on who to vote for and trying to figure out if your vote matters, do your research!
How to Prepare for Election Day
Okay the fun part! In order to participate in this election and future elections, you have to get yourself prepared. There are so many ways to cast your vote this time around and I want to make sure you’re ready to go!
1.) Register to Vote
As I am typing this, a lot of voter registration deadlines have past or are vastly approaching. If you live in Georgia like myself, our deadline was October 5th. Check here to register or check your status: https://www.vote.org/register-to-vote/
2.) Find your Precinct
In Georgia we have My Voter Page and it is super easy to navigate! You can also check to see if your registration is active. Check your state to see if you have something similar!
3.) Research Candidates
As I said above, I’m not here to tell you who to vote for but please do your own research.
Deadlines to Know
1.) Voter Registration Deadlines: https://www.vote.org/voter-registration-deadlines/
2.) Georgia Info
- Voter Registration Deadline: 10/5 (passed)
- Absentee Ballot Request Deadline: 10/30
- Absentee Ballot Return Deadline: 11/3
- Early voting: 10/12-10/30
To check deadlines for your state click here: https://www.usvotefoundation.org/vote/state-elections/state-election-dates-deadlines.htm
If there’s any other information that will be valuable, I will update this post up until election day! I hope you guys enjoyed this and enjoyed my honesty. This is a huge election and this information is valuable for local elections as well!