You guys may have noticed that I haven’t been consistently posting here. I wanted to share a life update because a lot of things have changed. Life happens and maybe I’ll try to do these every quarter or something just to make sure I’m keeping you guys updated.
These past few months, days, and weeks have been a lot. We are in a global pandemic where Black people are dying at disproportionate rates and on the other hand, we’re still dealing with police brutality and racial hate crimes. I have openly shared my frustration over the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and the others that came before or after them. How can I go about my day, when situations like this are happening in our country?
What have I been doing?
- Started an IGTV series with Tomi, Ayana, Nicole, Azanique, and Amanda to keep the conversation going after everyones social media feeds went back to normal. We chatted about Black history to pay gaps, retail racism, and hair/beauty. We also raised donations to a few of our favorite organizations.
- Shared as resources: petitions, bail funds, and Black Owned businesses to support now and forever.
- I relaunched my newsletter and I have a new weekly series called “The Spill” and I will highlight Black owned businesses and Black creators/influential people to follow.
Self care has been my top priority during these times. Over the past few weeks, I have been filling my time with things that spark joy and make me happy. This can mean a lot of things. A new skincare routine, a new recipe, binge watching your favorite show, etc.
What I have been into lately:
- Zoom happy hours
- Walks on the Silver Comet Trail
- Grocery shopping and cooking more
- Loungewear > jeans
- Going back to my favorite book/coffee shop for the first time since March.
Let’s talk about my professional life. At the beginning of March, I shared that I got promoted at work and I would be relocating to Nashville, TN. Well due to COVID, my promotion has been cancelled and I will not be relocating. I was a little sad and frustrated because at the start of everything closing down, I was told that my move would be pushed at a later date which was fine with me. I planned to move to Nashville at some point by not renewing my lease at the place I’m in but now that’s no longer happening due to how COVID affected the business.
It’s been a few weeks since finding out the news and I’m just being as positive as possible. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be at the time and everything happens for a reason.
As far a blogging/creative life, I’m trying to get back on track with consistently blogging and getting my content calendar together. I’m also picking up some creative/freelancing projects by helping small businesses with their presence online and I can’t wait to share more with you on that soon.
Mentioned above, I have a new newsletter series! I wanted to make it easier to be able to send weekly newsletters so I came up with The Spill. I will be sharing weekly roundups of blog posts for that week, curated favorites, personal updates, and more.